The Import Metadata tool allows for automated importing of metadata from a CSV load file into Opus 2.
Prior to upload:
- Open the metadata load file in Excel and check for the following:
- Correct encoding (UTF-8 is preferred, but Opus 2 will also accept regular CSV format). If any changes are made in Excel to the original load file, ensure that it is saved to the local drive as UTF-8 (CSV).
- Unknown characters, foreign language characters and Unicode in the field values. These may not be properly loaded into the system or may cause errors during upload.
- Field names that may not have a match in the workspace.
- Confirm from the load file which columns can be uploaded to the workspace. Check the list of existing fields within Opus 2 in the Admin > Metadata page (System/Workspace Admin Users Only), and create new fields when necessary. Users with System Admin rights have to set up fields properly to match the load file; otherwise, reach out to Opus 2 Support to set up the necessary fields.
- Export existing metadata as a backup (for overlays). In the event of an overlay being done incorrectly, it helps to have the current metadata on hand as a backup file.
PERFORMING THE METADATA UPLOAD:
- To access the tool, click on the Tools (wrench icon) button in the Documents tab and choose Import Metadata. Alternatively, users may drill down to the specific folder containing the files needing the metadata import, right-click and select Import Metadata. BEST PRACTICE: We recommend performing the import at the FOLDER LEVEL to avoid adding metadata inadvertently to other documents outside the desired folder, especially those with the same documents names.
- The Import Metadata CSV dialog box displays the metadata importing options. Click Select File and navigate to the desired CSV load file. Once selected, the dialogue box displays the metadata fields and their corresponding values within the file.
- Select a field with unique values as an identifier to match what is in the system, i.e., Doc Name, Beg Bates or magnum ID. Once both the CSV column name and the Opus 2 Document field name are selected, click on Match. The system will then match the key identifier values from the CSV to those in the workspace.
- Match each column in the CSV to its corresponding field in the workspace. If a field is correctly matched, the column will turn green. If not matched, it will turn red. A final document count for matched documents will appear at the bottom of the window. The goal is to ensure that all documents from the CSV are matched.
- Any columns that are empty, unnecessary or corresponding to fields that have not yet been created may be removed, if desired. Simply click on the “x” above each column to remove the field, and it will not be imported.
- Select the appropriate Date Format from the Date Format section drop-down (US or UK). If no selection is made, Opus 2will import using the date format in the CSV.
- Once all selections are made and documents are matched, click on Import. Each document that is successfully updated will be highlighted with a darker shade of green.
- Once the import is completed, a status box will appear signifying that the documents have been updated.
Best Practice: Unknown Characters
If the metadata contains unknown characters (e.g. �) in the dialogue box, troubleshoot by changing the encoding format from UTF8 to Western.